Tuesday, February 28, 2012

How can I attach two pieces of DRY clay together?

I have already tried wetting both pieces and scoring them and adding slip/water, but when I attach them and they dry, it's so fragile that they detach again.

I tried crazy glue, I tried wood glue, I tried CHEWING GUM... :P

I can't nail them together because one of the pieces is thin and will crack.

Specifically I'm making two bones with clay, the tibia and fibula, and I am trying to stick them together after they've dried.How can I attach two pieces of DRY clay together?
DRY?



Keep wetting them. Seriously, this is the only way. Do the same thing you were doing, but now try to clamp together with something for the next couple days.



You may have to add additional clay to keep the pieces in place. Gravity is your enemy!!!!



If you use glue...when you bake the bones in the kiln, they may fall apart again. But you CAN glue them after they've baked. That might actually work out better.
What you want to do is nearly impossible to have success at. It is not like filling a crack or attaching something thin onto a surface. If the two pieces have any weight they won't want to stick together. But here are two things you can try.



Spooze is a mender that you can make that will act as glue. It is:

--one part of your clay body dried and crushed into fine particles

--one part white vinegar

--one part light corn syrup

Mix these up into a peanut butter consistency -- thick and not too wet -- and use between the two pieces like cement. Before you put the spooze on, brush each piece, where you will attach it, with white vinegar. Press and hold together.



The other thing to try is paper clay if these pieces are not too big or heavy. Check out the links for all the info to make it.



Good luck.How can I attach two pieces of DRY clay together?
The problem with water based clay is that the surface is not very strong, so gluing to it is likely to fail. You might be able to soak the area to soften the clay again, then use the slip, perhaps letting it firm up a bit to soft leather hard before trying the slip.

If you want to try the dry, I suggest the clear GOOP Craft silicone hard setting glue.
alot of super glue

No comments:

Post a Comment