Tuesday, February 28, 2012

How can I attach two pieces of DRY clay together?

I have already tried wetting both pieces and scoring them and adding slip/water, but when I attach them and they dry, it's so fragile that they detach again.

I tried crazy glue, I tried wood glue, I tried CHEWING GUM... :P

I can't nail them together because one of the pieces is thin and will crack.

Specifically I'm making two bones with clay, the tibia and fibula, and I am trying to stick them together after they've dried.How can I attach two pieces of DRY clay together?
Try some 5-minute, two-part epoxy from a hardware store or home center. You mix equal part together and apply to both pieces and hold them together untill dry. As added strength you can "pin" the pieces. Drill a hole in one side and super glue a brass rod, wire etc. about 1/2" long half way into first piece. Drill slightly bigger hole in other piece where it will match up. When you glue them together with epoxy, run some into second hole first and run pin into hole as you hold pieces together. This will help pieces stay together.How can I attach two pieces of DRY clay together?
Try wire.

No comments:

Post a Comment