Friday, February 24, 2012

Which of this could be the reason for my bulldogs diarrhea?

My 7 month old english bulldog has had diarrhea for 3 days. We ususally feed her the Parena hard dog food but we decided to give her a Parena canned one. Also he's been chewing grass like crazy. And he recently has chewed up two Raw hide dog bones In the course of probably two days. Could any of these be the cause of his sickness?Which of this could be the reason for my bulldogs diarrhea?
It could very well be the rawhide bones that did this. Unless the rawhide was made in the USA, I feel they can actually be dangerous. Salmonella, bacteria, and chemicals are common to imported rawhides. Canned food has a higher water content than dry-it's possible that the canned food caused the diarrhea-is she still on it? Switch her back to the dry when she is better, in the meantime, boil some chicken or hamburger and mix it with plain brown rice and oatmeal for a few days to lighten the load on her system. You may want to consider a better food, as well. Purina is not a healthy food for a dog, and after spending so much to obtain your Bulldog, I'm sure you feel that she's worth enough to feed a high quality food. Just a few brands to consider: Innova, California Naturals, Prairie, Wellness, Merrick, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, Solid Gold.
I'd guess that the rawhides are the culprit. I used to give my dogs rawhides when they were a year or more, but when they got more than one a week they'd get sick. Now I don't give them any rawhides at all. As far as big treats go, they get them just once a week (doggie ice-cream, dentabones, nylabone edibles, big bark bars, etc.) and they get small biscuits or other treats that are smaller and not fattening on a daily basis.

I'd stop with the rawhides and see if that does the trick. Your dog is likely swallowing big pieces which can be dangerous.

You can give your dog canned pumpkin, available in grocery stores on the baking aisle. Not the sweetened kind with spices added- just plain pureed and cooked canned pumpkin. It works better to normalize a stool than anything I've ever used including Vet prescription medicine.

In fact, it was a very good Vet that informed me of this years ago.Which of this could be the reason for my bulldogs diarrhea?
I have an english bulldog and everytime we switch his food from solid to canned food he gets diarrhea. It usually goes away once we switch him back to his regular solid food.

Also remember that many bullies (including mine) are illergic to soy which is in many types of dog food and made mine really sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment