Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What ingredient is causing me to gain weight in my anti-depressant?

I'm gaining a pound a week at least. I'm taking effexor xr and seroquel. I'm huge!!!! I looked at myself in the mirror and couldn't believe how big i've gotten. I went from a size 6 to a tight 10 in a few months time. Do these medications lower your metabolism or what? There is a movie called Thinner by Stephen King and a guy gets a curse put on him and he starts losing weight like crazy until he is skin and bones and that's what i feel like except the opposite...... because i'm getting fatter everyday. Anyone else on these medications with some advice? I can't not take them because mentally I need them.What ingredient is causing me to gain weight in my anti-depressant?
3 words, Do You Exercise?
IM DEPRESSED. i slit my wrists but im against anti depressents cause when i took them i gained 97 pounds. they suck.What ingredient is causing me to gain weight in my anti-depressant?
First why dont you ask your doctor? And then seek a second opinion. There are medication books that have what different meds do in side effects.. It could just be that the combo is making you eat more. Or your just eating the wrong foods.. But you should write down what you eat for a month then go to your doctor with the journal and talk about you weight..
The most commonly observed side effects associated with the use of SEROQUEL in clinical studies were drowsiness, dry mouth, dizziness, constipation, weakness, abdominal pain, sudden drop in blood pressure when standing, sore throat, abnormal liver tests, upset stomach, and WEIGHT GAIN!!
to me since your depressed u need a new thing to depend on so u found food and thats wat happened you need to exersie and get the problem before it gets worse!
I suspect that if you are depressed, you may be eating more, even if you don't think you are.



write down everything you eat and drink in a day, sugar in drinks? cappucinos? hot chocolate? people often don't equate these things with calories, or such things as sodas, mints, etc, but they all contain sugar.



The only way you are going to know if the medication is causing the weight gain is to stop taking it, though of course don't do that without the advice and support of your doctor, otherwise, try to exercise more and think about what you eat.



Calories are not that important in weight management, even though nutritionists tells us they are the be all and end all of diets, but anyone who has ever done slimming world or weight watchers can tell you they eat and eat and eat [free foods] but still lose weight, but these free foods still have calories.



It's the empty calories you need to look for, how many of these are you adding to your intake daily.



And a size 10 is average, don't despair over it, I went from a size 8 to a size 16 in a couple of years, I have no idea why, i stressed up about it all the time, and was very miserable and depressed, but then i decided to go to the gym, eat fewer fats, especially transfats and not worry about it, and ive lost half the weight I put on so far.
Unfortunately, I cannot fully relate to that type of meds but YES to the Weight gain, personally have not been on an anti-depressant but I am on an Asthma Inhaler (made me gain some muscle and my arms look a bit more sculpted but all in all I look the same), which is a steriod, and your anti-depressant most likely is also one.

Most anti-depressants are steriods and steriods can make you muscular or hefty or bulky. If you're hormones are jumpy around, you can be retaining water. But as I am not your doctor and I don't know your entire health situation, remember that medications have side affects, make sure this is not one of them.



http://www.rxlist.com/rxboard/paxil.pl?n鈥?/a>



http://www.nutritionalsupplements.com/su鈥?/a>



http://p079.ezboard.com/fworkoutplanfrm2鈥?/a>



http://www.medhelp.org/forums/mentalheal鈥?/a>
i'm on the effexor xr and have less weight problem than on paxil. maybe it's the other one. maybe it's water retention. try cutting out the salt and drinking tea, it's a duretic. get your blood pressure checked too, apparently it is related to water retention.
Classic side effect. I had the same, gained 20 pounds in 1 year and going strong. I then couldn't take it anymore and asked to switch to another SSRI. Try Cipralex. I have found it to be very effective with a much lower weight gain side effect.
Talk to your doctor about your concerns. Alot of these drugs do that and it can actually cause other seriouse things to happen so you do need to keep your weight under control also. Talk to your doctor about Topomax. Its used for depression,its a seisurer med and also a weight loss med and now even a pain therapy med. It can get you back to a 6 without upsetting things.

No comments:

Post a Comment