Saturday, March 3, 2012

Could the rawhide bones I'm giving my puppy cause slimy stool?

My little weiner dog (4 months) has had tapeworms, sarcoptic mange, a MITE in her stomach (vet thought it was crazy!), all in the past month or so..I adopted her, so she wasn't in the best shape...after she had been treated for all of those things, she kept getting really slimy mucous stools..and I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is, i've ruled out everything...EXCEPT the rawhide bones that she seems to love...she goes through at least 2 a week. could these be causing her slimy stool? I called the vet and he gave me some anti-inflammatory meds.Could the rawhide bones I'm giving my puppy cause slimy stool?
Slimey stool is a sign of intestinal irritation, so if she is swallowing the rawhides, they could be well be the cause. You should give her something else to chew on, like a kong, that she can't swallow. If you don't want to go the meds route, you can also give her slippery elm bark powder, which helps soothe the digestive tract (in dogs and people). Good luck, I hope she feels better soon!
Rawhides have chemicals added to them to preserve them and it could be those chemicals that are affecting her. I need to warn you about rawhides in that if your dog swallows a chunk of the rawhide it could get lodged in her throat or intestines %26amp; cause death. I know dogs love these treats but they really are not a good treat to give. Nylabones are a great treat to give - they come flavored %26amp; last a long time. Dogs can chew on them and clean their teeth at the same time. Also, Kongs that you fill with good edible treats are a wonderful alternative.Could the rawhide bones I'm giving my puppy cause slimy stool?
Yes considering dogs CAN NOT digest rawhide, its quite possible. Rawhide is dangerous cause it becomes slimy when chewed, if this is the white kind that has been chemically bleached. It can get stuck in the esophagus so you are running the risk of you're dog choking. Many dogs have gotten ill and have died from rawhide getting stuck. I don't think any rawhide is safe, personally i dont think the pressed rawhide is safe either.



There are plenty of better alternatives, like raw meaty bones, stuffed bones, knuckle bones, knuckle heads. Bully sticks are a great one. Deer antlers.
some types give my pap the runs, so could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment