Friday, March 9, 2012

My young akita mix pup will not leave my old bealge alone! Driving me crazy?

I have a young 4 month akita male mix who will not leave my older beagle basset mix alone. My beagle/basset is very lazy and very submissive, he just like to lounge around. This new puppy is getting overtly aggressive with him, and it's driving me insane! He keeps biting him and barking at him. trying to take his bones, jumping on him whenever he can, and just fighting withhim until well late into the night. I can't get any sleep and it's driving me crazy to have to tell this pup a million times "NO!". What the hell do i do??My young akita mix pup will not leave my old bealge alone! Driving me crazy?
ummm its a puppy, what do you expect.
Sounds very normal to me. The older dog normally knows its place still, but lets the pup get away with all sorts because that's how packs should work. What you see as submission is normally a sign that the older dog isn't threatened by him and still knows he is top dog.(second to you)



just separate them when you think the older dog has had enough.

The older do needs a space of his own where the pup isn't allowed, so he can escape now and again and they should both be separated at night.



Always supervise them of course.



Also, you may have worn out the word 'no', the more you say the same thing to a dog the more it looses meaning, if they don't listen the first time, its not likely they will listen the next.



Look at the positives, the older dog could be snapping at him and growling, but sounds to me likt he has accepted him. Its up top you to manage the sitiation by separating and supervising, not correct it.My young akita mix pup will not leave my old bealge alone! Driving me crazy?
He is just playing and getting to know your older dog. If worst comes to the worst keep them apart until the pup has calmed down.

No comments:

Post a Comment