Saturday, March 3, 2012

Problem Puppy! Chewing, jumping, biting, CRAZY!?

I have a 6-8 month old lab/hound mix and I am constantly having problems with him. I recently got him neutered and it seems that it has made him crazier. The chewing is the worst. I have given him plenty of chew toys and bones, but he always seems to go for the carpet. I have tried firmly saying no when he does it and giving him a chew toy and then praising him when he does chew the right thing, but that hasn't worked. I also tried bitter apple spray, which worked for about a day but now he doesn't mind it at all and continues to chew. Does anyone have any other ideas?



He also is constantly jumping on people/tables/counters and biting them. I constantly tell him "Down!" when I catch him and "No!" while holding his mouth closed when he bites, but to no avail.



I take him for plenty of walks each day and play with him in the yard with a tennis ball so he is definitely getting enough exercise, attention, and love. I know he might just be a tough puppy since he was a rescue puppy and needs a lot of extra care and attention (definitely not an easy puppy for sure!). Has anyone experienced a difficult puppy and what are some tricks and things that you used to make life a bit easier as I am starting to go crazy never being able to even sit down or relax. Thanks!Problem Puppy! Chewing, jumping, biting, CRAZY!?
When he jumps up on you put your knee up. They HATE this. If he bites you, yelp. I know that may sound dumb, but i promise its not. If he sees that what he's doing is painful, he might realise that he shouldn't do it. If he seems to be doing these destructive things for attention, dont let him have it. I'm not sure what you can do about the chewing, but I've found it's something they grow out of. My dog used to be bad with that when she was a pup, but then she just stopped oneday when she was about 6 months old.

Hope this helps!!

Good luck!!
FYI im not crule and this idea isn't either

so here's an idea get a shock collar (let me explain) so just put it on 1 or 2 because that's only a vibrate and get 1 with a button that makes a beeping noise and do that a couple times before you vibrate them.Problem Puppy! Chewing, jumping, biting, CRAZY!?
Hehe you doggy reminds me of marley from marley and me. I would enroll him in puppy obedience class and just be very constant with him. And maybe he just needs more mental stimulation than physical.
' May I Suggest A Doggy Whistle ? Blow It When He Misbehaves. %26amp; It'll Make Him Think Twice Before Doing Something He Shouldn't Do .
He is definitely NOT getting enough exercise. Labs are extremely high energy dogs, almost impossible to tire out. Take him swimming.



The hound in him will make him more stubborn. They're not really into pleasing people. They're great dogs, very friendly and sweet-natured, but not the easiest to train.



Your dog is still a puppy. If he's chewing the carpet, then he's not being supervised enough. Don't be afraid to crate him when you've had enough and need a break or you can't watch him. Put chew toys in there with him.



I would recommend umbilical leash with him as well. That way he is always at your side so he has no choice in where he can go, plus it gives you a way to correct him quickly with the snap of a leash. That means no jumping because you'll be able to control his actions, too. It's a great way to housebreak but also a great way to have your dog under control in the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment