Friday, March 9, 2012

How to put weight on my dog?

Hi, I just got a 1 1/2 year old Toy Poodle last week. He only weighs 4 or 5 pounds and is all bones. I bought him puppy chow but he isn't to crazy over it. I bought him treats and not to excited either. Someone told me give him eggs, so today I scrambled 1 egg with nothing in it of course and he loved it. How often can I give him this or are there any other suggestions? He is so cute and friendly but when you hold him his bones stick out. Help new mommy...How to put weight on my dog?
He can have at the most of one egg per day. I would mix it in with his kibble though to encourage him to eat his hard food too! You could also try to get him some canned food to eat. Be cautious though as especially in a dog that small strange foods can give them an upset stomach! You can also purchase food from your vet by Science Diet called A/D which is canned food made for anorexic animals. Finally - if he hasn't been to the vet yet for a physical he should and also receive a fecal exam. He may be loaded full of worms which will not help him gain weight at all! Best wishes and enjoy your dog!
right cook some chicken breast with carrots he will love this dont give it him every day about, once a week. give him an egg once a week aswell, also try giving him wet dog food and a tiny amount a milk ( one dropp )



good luckHow to put weight on my dog?
First stop vet if you haven't already done so to rule out medical conditions and parasites that could be causing this.



Dump the puppy chow, either go high quality, something like Innova Evo or Wellness.



Or ditch commercial foods altogether.



The dog in my avatar was skin and bones for her first 2 years. Vet after vet, food after food, she was always found healthy, she just wouldn't eat. I still wonder how she's even still alive she looked so crappy.



I ditched the commercial foods again and put the dogs back on raw. It was my lab's second time, and Bindi's first. Bindi eats everyday now, she has put on 10.5 pounds, is nicely muscled, her coat and teeth are awesome, and now instead of worrying about getting her to gain, I have to watch so she doesn't get to fat. A change I'm happy with.



There will never again be a commercial food in this house.



http://www.rawfed.com
feeding him a scrambled egg can make ur dog turn out to be finicky eater.by feeding table scraps, like scrambled egg, your dog learns there's tastier world out there if she just holds out. i think finicky eating is the problem than putting weight on ur dog. becuase if the dog is not finicky eater, it is more easier to put a weight. try mixing her kibble with a little canned food and increasing the ratio of dry food as she becomes axxustomed to it. moistening food with water or stock is another way to whet an appetite. or try warming canned food to above room temperature but below body temperature. and if ypu've got the time, u could see how your pampered pet responds to your homemade dog food. :D
after my pitbull had 10 puppies she was all bones

so i fed her boiled chicken about 3 times a week alone and once a week i would boil it and mix it with the dry dog food

also, i mixed dry dog food with wet dog food

however my dog would eat anything, yours might be a little picky

but you could try the boiled chicken idea

add some non harmful flavoring

No comments:

Post a Comment